Saturday, June 24, 2006

I Know Where You Are From

Last week we had a new couple come into the bar. The first time they came in I happened to be away from the bar and the second time they caught me in residence. They each ordered a martini while they contemplated a bottle of wine. The bartender asked me if I could help them with a selection and they finally decided on a classico chianti reserva. As they sat and sipped their wine and listened to classic jazz, we engaged in conversation. Neither of them were from our little town, business concerns had brought them from other hamlets across the nation. Finally the young lady asked me, "Where are you from? Originally I mean". I told her that while I had lived here for many years, I was originally from New York. "Where in New York?", she asked. "Flushing, Queens", I responded. "Damn I knew it!" she blurted. "The first time I came in here I just knew whoever owned this bar had to be from New York and had lived near the city." The New York City for you uninformed infidels. She told me that the first time that she came in the bar, that the low lights, jazz in the background and the style of the bar convinced her that whoever owned this bar was from the city. She went on to tell me she had not been in a bar in the southern U.S. that exuded more of a New York feel than this little establishment. I was happy to have made her feel at home as she told me that she was originally from the south Bronx. They have been in almost nightly since this revelation. Hoo-ray for NYC, and customers with good taste. God bless them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home